Babywale!

Nooooo, not baby whale (although isn't this baby Beluga whale from the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago adorable?)

babywhale

I'm actually excited about a bolt of luscious, scrumptious, incredibly soft ModBlooms Earth in 21-wale corduroy that arrived at my doorstep last week:

ModBlooms-babywale-cord

Let's take closer look...

ModBlooms-babywale-cord2

Gorgeous, isn't it? Wish you could feel the velvety softness. I immediately had to cut into it and make a version of the Sophie 3-Way Pants in it. These pictures will appear in the pattern instruction booklets, since I took very detailed pics of every step of construction as I was making these.

Sophie-pants-babywale3

I love pairing up corduroy with other fabrics, like quilting cottons for example. The contrast in textures is so interesting! Check out how cool it looks with the Kiwi Tiny Dots!

Sophie-pants-babywale2

Oh, and for all of you who have been emailing me about the Sophie 3-Way Pants pattern, I'm happy to report that it is off to the testers as I write this, which means it is near completion. As soon as I get those notes from my dear testers, I will put it into editing mode and send to print.

Sophie-pants-babywale1

OK, so since this post has such a random feel to it already, I'll tell you about our weekend. I thought it was such a coincidence that when I Googled "baby whale" for the image on top of this post, the first photo I found was of that adorable baby beluga from the Shedd Aquarium because we just spent an entire day there on Saturday! Yup! We met up with my cousin Olga and her hubby Jorge, who were here all the way from Puerto Rico to attend the Neocon conference in Chicago. It was a lovely day (a little cool for June, but we were indoors most of the day so it didn't matter.)

We saw a 4-D movie called "Planet Earth"...

4D-movie

Hung out and gossiped about family (of course!)

olga&patty

Played in "underwater caves"...

sydney&sophie

Posed for photos outside the Beluga exhibit...

sydney&sophie2

I was mesmerized by the beautiful jellyfish...

jellyfish

and all those creepy spiky things that live at the bottom of the ocean...

spiky

But what really got my attention were these amazing octopus-wrapped Art Deco lamps we spotted in the lobby. Jeez, how can I get one of these for my studio?!?

lamps

Have I ever mentioned my obsession with octopi? One of these days I'll have to scan in some of the dozens & dozens of octopus drawings I've done that I hope will someday find a home in some kind of printed medium, whether it is textiles or paper...

Alrighty... stay tuned for a wickedly cool giveaway I'm putting together! Coming up soon!!! :)

25 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:18 AM

    These Art Deco octopi lamps are amazing! Would love to see octopi in your fabric designs. Will there be Mezzanine corduroy? Hmm, my comment is kinda random too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH WOW! I gotta get my hands on some of that babywale cord. Looks scrumptious! OH, and yes, you just don't see enough octopi stuff around. I love them too. Let's see!!!

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I haven't been to Shedd in years now. Such fun that place is.

    I just love that new fabric. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The octopus lamps are AMAZING. I also have a huge love for all things octopus.

    That babywale cord is fab too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That material would be so cute for a simple little dress that maybe buttons on the shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just so excited that the Sophie 3-way pants will be out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comments, everyone! I'm not sure if there will be any Mezzanine being produced in cord, but if I find out, you'd better believe I'll blab about it on here. And yes, octopi are mighty cool and I might share some of my drawings here soon. Still trying to figure out what they might be best suited for. ;)

    patty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I'm loving the babywale corduroy. Perfect for Fall!

    I visited the Shedd Aquarium last Fall. It was so crowded I couldn't believe it. I think we waiting in line for 1 1/2 just to enter the building. I have to admit, it was worth the wait. The dolphin show was super cute! The kids loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH that is awesome fabric and I love the three way pants...cuteness....and those pockets...sweet!

    What great shots you have of the marine life...and those octopi lamps are neat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh wow I live in chicago and was there last week! We have annual passes and haven't been to the shedd aq since the renovations. I also love love love the corduroy!xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Patty,

    That corduroy looks so yummy, I can almost FEEL it! I can't wait to get some and start sewing for autumn. (Who cares that I've barely touched on summer sewing for my DD yet? LOL!) And you're right - those lights are fantastic!

    P.S. Please ask those testers to hurry! hurry! I'm DYING to get my very own Sophie 3-way pants pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh how freakin cute are those pants!
    The fam and I used to hit the Shedd Aquarium all the time living in Chicago. I must say, I miss that city.
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Patty, you were not kidding about the cord. Sarah had a swatch at the shop and it is even more soft and gorgeous than you described. I'm definitely seeing some in my future!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooooh I love corduroy and that is some pretty babywhale! I can't wait for those new patterns, seriously! :)

    Great aquarium photos too. I am about 2 hours north of Chicago, that would make a great weekday trip this summer. Two weeks into summer vacation and I'm already out of fresh ideas. LOL

    Darcy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't believe how many of you live in or near Chicago! We oughta do a little creative meet-up or something in the windy city. :)

    Oh, and yes, those Sophie 3-Way Pants can't get here fast enough. We're hurrying, hurrying but also want everything to be perfect! :)

    patty

    ReplyDelete
  16. those lamps are so COOL!! jellyfish and spikey stuff are pretty good times too...the Seattle aquarium has a huge jellyfish room with new agey music...mesmerizing!
    And too bad your cuz and you don't look more alike LOL..you could easily be mistaken for sisters!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVING the cord. The texture is wonderful. And the pants!! I love that waistband with the button. So cute! The girls ad i were at the Academy of Sciences in San Francisco last weekend and I too took a million pics of jellyfish and octopi they really are amazing and beautiful. Their movement is what gets me!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm looooving those pants, very yummy:) Your such a tease, can't wait for the giveaway:)

    April

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Patti,

    Thanks for your comments on my blog! It was fun to see you at market, and to see your beautiful new fabric line!
    You are so good at what you do!

    Take Care, see you next time!
    Lila

    ReplyDelete
  20. oooo FUN - love the cord! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love deco - but all I can think looking at those lamps is all the scenes from the Alien films when you see the things stuck to peoples faces. Maybe if they were crawling up, gracefully and a little less facehugger-esque?
    The corduroy looks gorgeous, perfect weight for dresses.
    Kim xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the random post and love Chicago.

    Your courduroy is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  23. how do I get the pattern for the pants?

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshi Playground |