Introducing... MODKID HQ!

If you follow me on Twitter then you already know that about 4 or so months ago we made the decision to no longer move to Florida but stay and grow our business here in the Midwest. You probably also know that for weeks now we've been looking for a commercial space that MODKID could call home but nothing was quite right. Too big, too small, too expensive, needs too much work, etc. etc. etc.

Well, about a week ago Jon and I were driving through our downtown district, daydreaming about how awesome it would be if we could find a cool, lofty office space among the trendy cafés, funky boutiques and eclectic eateries. "Drive down that road again!" I would say as he quietly obliged. "Have we gone this way yet?", "How about over there?" All of a sudden, out of the corner of my eye I spotted a sign on a window. I quickly jotted down the number on my iPhone notes app and urged Jon to stop the car for a quick peek. It was freezing outside, so my sweet hubby told me to stay in the car while he checked it out. He peeks in the windows for what seemed like an eternity then runs back with a curious smirk on his face. "Patty, you have to come see this! I think we found it." Totally annoyed, because surely he must be pulling my leg, I shake my head and roll my eyes. He walks off and beckons me with a smile. I think, "Oh, what the heck" and tighten up my scarf.

This is what I saw when I looked in the windows.

MODKID HQ-01

If I had designed a space from scratch... well, let's just say that I felt violated! Like someone had stepped into my brain, snapped a photo of my dream space and created it for themselves without even asking for permission. The nerve!

The days that followed were utter torture. Again, if you follow me on twitter, you know. Waiting, talking, negotiating, waiting some more, making myself seriously ill over the thought of losing it. Yes, that's what it was like. Saturday night we found ourselves sipping hot tea with the owner of the building at the Chinese restaurant next door. We brought our top negotiator (Sydney)... because, who could say no to that face? We would've brought two negotiators, but Sophie was away at a sleepover.

Well, I won't drag this out any longer... ladies & gents, meet... MODKID HQ!

This is the view of the right wall looking from the front of the building. Original hardwood floors, exposed brick walls, 18' tin ceilings, lots of windows...

MODKID HQ-02

A little bit further down the wall... there's even a clothing rack for all of my trunk show samples! This place used to be home to a posh bridal shop.

MODKID HQ-04

Further down the wall we see the first of two bay doors... perfect for bringing in large shipments (probably fabric in this door, since we'll use the one in the back for bringing in pallets of patterns)

MODKID HQ-03

The rear portion of the building will be Jon's area, which will eventually house his desk, racks of patterns and a fulfillment area.

MODKID HQ-08

Here's the 2nd bay door and a cool glass block window that lets in tons of light in this back room.

MODKID HQ-07

Now, we've turned back around and are looking towards the front of the building. The door on the left there is for the unisex bathroom.

MODKID HQ-10

There are two dressing rooms on the left side, which is perfect for days like today when I have a handful of beautiful models shooting pattern covers. And yes, first order of business: switching out those ugly black curtains with some pretty Patty Young fabric!

MODKID HQ-05

You may have spotted these already, but I wanted to give you a closer look at the tin ceiling and the gorgeous brushed nickel chandeliers. There are 12 of these beauties! TWELVE! I die!

MODKID HQ-06

To give you an idea of how much character this place has, every now & then you see these...

MODKID HQ-11

I thought they were stickers at first, but noooo... they are tin (or some sort of metal) and are bolted right to the wood. I assume they are covering something, but I don't want to find out. They are staying put. Here's another one... cool, eh?

MODKID HQ-12

For those history buffs out there, Jon's been doing a little research on the building and he just found out tonight that this used to be the headquarters of State Farm Insurance from 1922 to 1924. WOW! Read more here. There's an old picture of our building from the 20's in the third section down.

Anyway, I think it's safe to say that we are overjoyed with our new venture and are already feeling right at home...

MODKID HQ-09

I hope you guys don't mind that I'm gonna be documenting the whole office decor process here on ye olde blog. Thanks for coming along for the ride! :)

55 comments:

  1. That is the coolest space ever! Maybe HGTV can film you there! It is wonderful! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie1:22 AM

    O. M. G! Girl... you are going places! And from the looks of this, they are really cool places. LOL! Congrats, it is absolutely perfect and yes, please I want to see it all decorated MODKID-style!

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, ladies!

    Kathy, if you have a connection with the good folks at HGTV, by all means send them our way! :)

    Annie, I hope to document the whole process so keep checking! :)

    patty

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool! It actually looks just like where I get acupuncture just different colors. I lay in the chair and dream of a studio in the space. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to you and yours Patty. What a magnificent, inspiring, GORGEOUS place! Excited to see your progress. Thanks for giving us a peek at the amazing "before".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow looks great, congrats on finding it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. PATTY!!! That space is AWESOME!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I can not wait to watch as you settle in to your new studio space!!!

    YAAY!!!

    ~gillian

    ReplyDelete
  8. congrats. what a truly beautiful place, totally to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that is the GREATEST space ever. I absloutely adore it, cant wait to see you turn it into MODKID HQ. Lookig forward to the ride xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. A-May-ZING!! Congrats on finding such a dreamy space. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous space! I can't wait to see the evolution on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. what as cool cool cool cool cool working space! I love it, and wish I could work there too!!! The decorating possibilities are endless! In love...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. GETOUTTATOWN!! CONGRATULATIONS to you and Jon! That space is dreamy and i can't wait to see how you make it your own!! Amazing, Patty!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  15. So perfect for you- congratulations! If you're looking for HGTV love, they're looking for people to be on Emily Henderson's new show, Secrets from a Stylist. I love, love, love her work! They mention that they're looking in the LA area, but you never know! Here is a link to the page with the info: http://www.hgtv.com/about-us/get-a-room-makeover-from-design-star-winner-emily-henderson/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful space. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Patty! It's perfect! PERFECT!! Congrats sweetie! Hugs and high fives to you and Jon!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations! It looks completely fantastic and perfect for MODKID!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats! When you said downtown, my first thought was the State Farm headquarters building. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  20. VERY VERY COOL! Love it already!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Patty, what an AMAZING place you've got!!!! I can't wait to see you MODKID that place up!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. YOU GO GIRL!...and Jon! That space couldn't be any cooler! Are you kidding? Of course we don't mind if you blog about the progress...we expect it with great anticipation! HAVE FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Heather G10:09 AM

    W.O.W. just wow!! That place is PERFECT for Modkid!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations! The space is so perfectly you! So happy that you found the perfect space and can't wait to see it come together the Patty Young way!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh wow Patty! Could it be any better!? Love it girl! And I need to follow my Twitter account closer. Seriously I had been wondering what happened to the plans to move! All so exciting girl!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats to you and Jon! That is so amazing and I'm so excited for you!!! Can't wait to see all your amazing photos!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Patty, it is AMAZING!! Congrats on such a huge step for your business!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous!!!! I cannot wait to see what you do with it. Doing a little happy dance for you right now.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congrats. It looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  30. ~ Victoria ~12:01 PM

    OMG! LOVE THE PLACE!! CONGRATULATIONS! You must feel so proud! Wishing you and the business the very best!!
    ~Victoria (UCF)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Absolutely stunning!! So many incredible details and so much charm!! Congratulations and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you all for the sweet comments! WOW! We are just so excited over here! :)

    patty

    ReplyDelete
  33. How wonderful! Looking so forward to see what you do to this place! I agree, it would be awesome if HGTV could film you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anonymous1:52 PM

    Patty...

    I'm so truly happy for you!!! Wishing you lots of success!

    With friendship,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  35. How awesome Patty. And you're in such a great area too. You are just close enough to the dorms that you should have alot of food traffic from the students. And even better, on those weekends all those parents hit town for parents weekend you should be VERY busy if you're planning to stock all your fabrics in the headquarters for sale. I LOVE that building. It's an awesome looking building. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  36. OOPS. yea that was supposed to say FOOT traffic. lol

    ReplyDelete
  37. I was just wondering how the FL move process was going.

    I SO want to see this space in person. Now, when you say "downtown" I assume you mean Bloomington and not Normal. They call Normal "uptown" now you know. LOL

    I love, love, love this space!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  38. Vicki, we are actually just a studio and office, NOT retail, so we won't be open to the public. At least not yet, maybe in the future, who knows? ;)

    Beth, yes, it's Bloomington! :)

    patty

    ReplyDelete
  39. TOO CUTE! Congratulations guys, you are going to have so much fun filling that space with all your amazing goodies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh my... that is the coolest space ever. I am sooo happy for you!! I can't imagine how that would feel to find your dream space just waiting for you. (something I hope for someday soon!) I couldn't contain my excitement for one second. I hope you enjoy each and every moment of "setting up shop". Best wishes to all of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great space! I LOVE historic buildings and those floors are to die for:) Can't wait to start seeing pics of how you make it your own. I'm sure it will be on the cover of WWC by the end of the year;)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Just noticed that you're in Bloomington, IL. I grew up in Washington, IL and lived in Bloomington for about a year after college. We lived over by SF in a beautiful bungalow with gorgeous hardwoods . . . I sure miss that house:) I still have parents and siblings spread out between Morton and Decatur so I'll have to check the space out when I visit family again. CONGRATS:)

    ReplyDelete
  43. very very cool! reminds me of our own studio in downtown riverside, but in california. can't wait to see all of your progress here on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Anonymous1:50 PM

    That space is awesome! Good luck with your new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Oh Patty, Patty, Patty, PATTY! I'm so stinkin' thrilled and happy! I have a lump in my chest I'm so happy for you! Maybe not a lump, more like squeezy hug! Oh happy day, and your new space is to die for!!! Congrats, congrats, congrats my dear friend!! xxoom

    PS… I'm tying to figure out what the "fulfillment area" is… and I'm guessing it's gonna be the coffee bar.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Anonymous10:24 AM

    This is so great! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Your story has been such an inspiration to me. You have come a long way in such a short amount of time! Way to go girl!! This is a very exciting day, for sure. I agree that this space looks so 'Patty' that it could have come straight from your head :o)

    ReplyDelete
  48. oh my goodness, I love it! how perfect is that! it looks a-m-a-z-i-n-g! love the ceilings, the floors, the space, beautiful, perfect, love it!

    well done,

    Corrie:)

    ReplyDelete
  49. What a Blessing! and I must say, you have one amazingly supportive hubby!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. So, So happy for you and your new adventure... the ideas will be endless... can't wait to see all the pictures... thanks for the tour

    ReplyDelete
  51. Well darn Patty. I really think being that close to ISU you would do really well with even a small retail store there. You helpers you hired awhile back was attending ISU though wasn't she? Am I crazy in thinking you had mentioned that? Those students taking the apparel and design classes have to get their fabrics from somewhere ya know. LOL Why shouldn't it be you? Hopefully if any of us do wander through town you'll still let us take a peek at your new digs once you're all moved in. Even if I can't buy anything, I'd still love to stop in and see it all and say hi.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Lovely space! I seriously heart the tin ceiling!

    ReplyDelete
  53. I'll second the request for a retail store. I've had a hard time finding your patterns and fabric sometimes even though I live in Champaign and work in B-N, and I'd love to be able to drop into your HQ and buy them directly!

    ReplyDelete
  54. I have to tell you, i just started crying (!). No joke! I'm sitting here looking at the pics of your new building and crying for how beautiful it is!! I'm so envious! Will you hire me? I'm terribly creative and an excellent sewer and a very, very good piecer and quilter. I just want in some way to be attached to that building and your amazing company.

    ReplyDelete
  55. WOW, everyone, thank you SO MUCH! You all make my heart sing. To those of you who have asked, we are considering a retail portion of the business... maybe by appointment only? Not sure. But we'll definitely have plenty of inventory (or all, haha) on hand in case anyone wants to drop by for a shopping spree!

    Thanks again for all the support! I feel the love!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshi Playground |