Sewing MODKID Style
Sneak Peek #1


At this time last year, I was getting ready to turn in the first quarter of my book's manuscript, my heart filled to the brim with excitement and trepidation. I knew I loved it, but would my publisher love it? Well, they did! And their words of encouragement fueled me the rest of the way through. The following 6 months we lived and breathed book. And I mean all of us... me, Jon, Emalee, the kids, our friends and our friends' kids. It was definitely a labor of love, with emphasis on the word labor (well, and love too!) :)

The other day, as I lay in bed on a lazy Saturday morning I was awakened by a text from my friend, Mary, telling me that my book was on the Barnes & Noble site (yes, I sleep with my iPhone, don't you?). I couldn't believe it was already up there! I mean, didn't I just start writing this thing? Well, I guess not... it has been a year, actually! I ran downstairs to pull it up on my computer, because my tiny iPhone screen just didn't do it justice and there it was... in all its glory...

SMS-COVER-Final

WOW! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry or scream, so instead I texted the link to every person I could think of (whether they cared or not!). Then I hopped on Twitter and Facebook and shared the link like one proud mama and her newborn baby.

Then, I waited for the OK from Wiley to blog it because I wanted to tell you all the little details and show you some more images from it. Well, the green light came last Friday and we agreed that I should break up my reveals into 6 installments, because the book will be out in stores exactly 6 months from now.

YAY! So here's the 411:
  • The book will be hardcover and spiral-bound (much like the ones you are used to seeing from Anna Maria)
  • It will have 160 pages (and yes, I know online it says 144 but we ended up adding an extra 16 pages at the end because I wanted to add a glossary, a resources page and a few more pretty pictures.)
  • It will come with full size pattern sheets (no enlarging or taping together!) and detailed instructions for 20 sewing projects that span from accessories, to separates to full ensembles.
  • All the illustrations, instructions and patterns were done completely and solely by me, and they are in the exact same style that you are already accustomed to seeing in my sewing patterns.
  • The patterns range in sizes from 2T to 10 and styles range from easy and simple (the kind you can do in 1 or 2 hours) to fancy and intricate (in case you want to spend some quality time with your machine).
  • The book comes with an in-depth guide on knit fabrics and stretch trims AND it teaches you how to make the projects with your serger or your sewing machine, with loads of tips & tricks along the way.
So, here are a couple of sneak peek photos. Since the book-writing took almost a year and it spanned all seasons of the year, so do the photos, as you'll see. In addition, we were able to take a few family vacations near and far, and used those as an excuse to get some more book photos done (or was it the other way around?!?)

SMS-sneak-01

SMS-sneak-02

SMS-sneak-03

Sewing MODKID Style is currently available for pre-order on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Overstock, Book Depository, Easons, Books-a-Million and Sew Mama Sew. (Retailers: if you have my book on your site, please let me know so we can add you to the list!) A full list of retailers will be available on the WILEY website.

Thanks for taking this little sneak peek tour with me. Stay tuned each month between now and March, 2012, as I will reveal more and more projects from the book. And... thank you all for your support! :)

***UPDATE! A sweet blog reader just informed me that the book is also available in Canada, which reminded me that I had also seen it for sale in Amazon UK. YAY, we're global! :)***

32 comments:

  1. Annie6:32 PM

    Are you kiddin'? I already pre-ordered it a couple weeks ago! LOL! May have been an impulse buy but I know it's money well-spent. I heart your patterns!!!

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! We will definitely be ordering this for our shoppe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:44 PM

    Way to go Patty!!!! I can't wait to get my copy!

    With friendship,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks wonderful, I will be ordering some for Crafty Mamas :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm BEYOND excited for you - and for MMEEEEEMEMEEEEE! this already looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! Thank you all for your support and friendship. March 2012 cannot come quickly enough!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patty I am SUPER excited about your book! I am particularly excited about the knit section. So many of us that dabble in knits have so many questions. You know how it goes. You have questions BEFORE you ever touch knits, you sew a few things from it,learn a few new things, but then come up with a whole SLEW of new questions. It will be nice to see what you have to say on the topic. Oh and you know my daughter is all over your patterns, Okay and so is mom! She will love your new patterns. Ohhh and I am going to market again! I hope to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. CONGRATULATIONS MISS PATTY!!! I am so proud of you and how all your hard work and vision is forming into this beautiful ModKid World!!

    ~gillian

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! Congrats to you ... and your "newborn"!

    ReplyDelete
  10. sweetsnugglebugs10:33 PM

    I don't want to wait until March!!! Can't wait to get my copy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah! I can't wait to get a copy! I love all that you do, you're one of my biggest inspirations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks so fun! CONGRATS!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so excited about this book. You must be so proud of this little baby. Thanks for all the hard work I'm sure it took. Can't wait to get my hands on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you all SO MUCH! I just keep smiling when I read your comments. So happy to be a part of such a supportive community! MWAH!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations! I love the front cover. The model in the middle is especially cute! :) I'm off to pre-order!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! So excited for you. & excited for me too, since I will be ordering a copy as well. Beautiful photos as always. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous9:32 PM

    What a fun book this will be to explore! I like that it includes full size patterns! This just may be the inspiration I need to plunge onto the o-so-scary world of knits! My little granddaughter loves how cozy they feel, and I'd love to make some of your cute things for her snuggle up in! -Sewing Grammie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay! It's going to be available in Canada too! http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Sewing-MODKID-Style-Modern-Threads-Patty-Young/9780470947685-item.html?ikwid=patty+young&ikwsec=Home

    ReplyDelete
  20. lizfancher12:31 PM

    Wow! The preview looks fabulous. I can't wait for the book. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh wow Patty! How exciting. Congratulations!

    And guess what!? Our next Grandchild that will be born this next February is another girl so I get to continue making pretty girly things!!!!!!!!!! YAY! I'll be needing that book.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aeble, thank you so much for the Canadian store link. I will go amend my post a.s.a.p

    Vicky, congrats on your new grand daughter and YAY, another girl to sew for!!! :)

    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow!
    I just clicked on your site from The Little Fabric Blog and LOVE YOUR WORK! Do you get your fabric from them?
    Thanks!
    Kristi

    www.amakeaday.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations Patty. The photo of the girls on the beach might be worth all the hard work alone -- what a labor of love. :-) Can't wait to see it in its full glory!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is excellent news for me, as I am a fan of your patterns. My three little girls can attest to this. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just came across a link to a website selling camera straps using your ribbon! http://www.myfunkycamera.com/store/Default.asp

    I was on the Commercial Kid Photography blog, and she mentioned this camera strap company. First page, BAM! Your beautiful designs :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. Germany must wait until march:( ...

    ReplyDelete
  28. ...till april, now...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Looks like the little girls enjoy there huge lollipop. Very nice angle and I loved the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  30. People say love at first site but i became a fan of your collection at the first site

    ReplyDelete
  31. No more waiting after a having a look at these pretty things just want to buy them..

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshi Playground |