I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and are ready to kick off December with our London Dress Sew-Along. Today we'll be prepping and cutting, so we can get sewing tomorrow.
First, head to your computer and print out your pattern. Here are a few tips I like to use for printing:
- Print the instruction pages on two sides (front and back). For the London pattern, these are pages 2-7. I like to save ink by not printing the pretty cover and inspiration pages (1, 8-9), but that’s up to you.
- Print the pattern pages (10-20) on a single side only. Make sure your scaling is set to “none”.
- Above all, utilize the test squares to make sure your pattern has printed at the full scale.
Next, cut all pattern pieces of your desired size. Be sure to include the gray/shaded areas in your cuts.
Overlap the shaded areas, as indicated on the pattern pieces, and tape each piece together to form the full pattern pieces.
Now you are ready to cut into your pretty fabric! You’ll need to refer to the cutting diagram in the pattern for the layout. Here is a list of the pattern pieces you will need:
- Pattern Piece A – Front Bodice: Cut 2 from fabric #1 and Cut 2 from fabric #2.
- Pattern Piece B – Back Bodice: Cut 1 on the fold from fabric #1 and Cut 1 on the fold from fabric #2.
- Pattern Piece C – Skirt Panel: Cut 2 on the fold from fabric #3.Transfer notches.
- Pattern Piece D - Pockets: Cut 2 from fabric #1 and Cut 2 from fabric #2.
On pattern piece A, you will want to mark the buttonholes. The buttonholes will be on the left side of the Front Bodice (from the viewer’s point of view). Transfer the notches along the top edge of the skirt pieces, and mark the fold lines on the outer skirt pocket piece.
Tomorrow we sew!
See the rest of the London Sew-Along here:
We’d love to see your progress!! Show us your photos in our Facebook group. You can also share photos on Facebook and Instagram tagged #londonsewalong.