Inquisitive Minds

My little Sophie, at the wise old age of 8, has been plagued by the question of all questions... "what will I be when I grow up?" As much as I try to assure her it will come to her sooner or later she seems to be convinced that she must figure it out right now. In the last few days we've heard everything from "artist" to "veterinarian" to "bake shop owner." She spends all her time doing "research." She reads, observes, asks tons of questions and watches Animal Planet like there's no tomorrow.

Lately she's been watching me as I buzz around the house with my camera strapped to me like an extra appendage. She observed intently as I photographed her little sister for a future promotional campaign...

Kyoko&Mini-Kyoko-2

She witnessed me running out to our driveway in below-freezing temps to get a shot of our sewing pattern delivery truck...

shipment-1-18-2010

Then documenting the stacks of boxed-up orders as they headed out the door to our customers...

packages-1-18-2010

So, I figured it was just a matter of time before she got bit by the photo bug. Today, as we were heading out the door to run a few errands around town she asked "Can I take a picture of you with your camera?" (notice how she has already realized the difference between my camera and hers). I hesitated for a moment, then took a deep breath and thought, why not? I carefully placed my very-heavy-and-expensive-you-drop-it-you-die camera into her little hands. I'm pretty sure my hands were trembling more than hers. As I wrapped the camera strap around her neck I thought, if she drops it, she's coming right down with it... eeek! (with the lens and the speedlight attached to it, this camera weighs about as much as she does!)

I quickly showed her how to manually focus and let her take a couple of practice shots while I held on to it. Then... I let her have it... by herself. *gulp*

She stood on top of our kitchen stool *double gulp* and took about 20 shots of me and 2 were in focus.

Patty-011810b

Well, this one's a little soft, but I still like it.

Patty2-011810b

Not too shabby, eh? Uh-oh, I think "photographer" may have bumped "bake shop owner" out of the running...

19 comments:

  1. OMG! Your 8 year old takes better pictures than I do! That's sad! I'll just keep telling myself it's the camera not the photographer...haha!

    Can't wait for your new patterns! :)

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job Sophie! You have a better camera than I could ever hope to have, and Bravo Mom for being brave enough to let her hold it!

    Thrilled to see the patterns on schedule...now if only my local shop has my special order soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Annie on this one - she takes better photographs than I do too! She did a great job!

    Ohhhh, patterns? So pretty! I thoroughly appreciate the fact that you went out into the cold to get the picture of the van for us to see. That's dedication!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sons elementary school has a day where kids are supposed to dress up as what they want to be when they grow up...When Jon was a kindergartener he was totally stressed out because he thought whatever he dressed up as was what he HAD to be! It's hard to see them stress when they are sooo little!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the very same thing happen to me as my little photographer ask to take pictures while we were at an anniversary party. Although, I do let her have my camera quite often on a tri-pod, my nerves are a little tense thinking about the damage that she could do with my camera. She did a great job, I too did a post on my blod about it, post title, "nothing new". Kids are fun, and they are only little once! So, I say let them enjoy the big camera :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. P,

    She did SUCH a good job! You should be so proud! I'm still afraid of the manual focus on my camera, so the fact that your little 8-year old got that down is amazing. Bravo to Sophie - future photographer extraodinaire!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for the comments. Yep, I'm pretty proud of her. I think I'll let her "play" more often and see what develops. :)

    Heather, I checked out your blog! Your little one did an amazing job with your camera too! It's funny how they can start developing these skills so early on in life. Thanks for sharing. :)

    patty

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so cool that she is so interested in what is going on around her, and she obviously has a talent for photography. Good for you for being brave enough to let her try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, so you are as cute as those children of yours, but we never get to see you! Thanks to Sophie for turning the camera on you. Congrats on the new patterns-- I think doll patterns are a brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think Sophie did such a great job! Both pictures are great! It is very nice to see some pics of you up on your blog! I have the same camera (still learning to use it) and I love it!
    Congrats on the patterns--I can't wait to make them! One of these days I will get around to posting a flikr page of all the MODKID patterns that I've made. Your patterns are still my very fav!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute!!! What a fun age!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Caroline & Nicki... you guys are right. I am *never* in front of the camera. For as many thousands of photos I take a year, there are probably only a handful of me. This was quite a treat. :)

    Oh, and Nicki... wow, what a compliment! THANK YOU!!! Please do share your MODKID creations. I'd love to see. I do have a Flickr group already set up for it... there a link on the sidebar. :)

    patty

    ReplyDelete
  13. She did a great job. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great photos! I have a question on your patterns. What program do you design them in. Do you use Illustrator or a CAD program. They look so nice and precise so I thought I would ask. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous8:58 PM

    I've been following your blog for awhile, now, and I just wanted to tell you what a great inspiration you are. Thank you for giving me a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Patti, I'm hoping the picture of Sydney with doll means you will be offering girl dress + doll dress as one pattern...please do!

    I'd love to have the doll patterns alone, but the combo is much more satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you all again for stopping by!

    The Hoffman Family,I use Illustrator for all my pattern drafting and mechanical drawings.

    Roballen, if you mean both patterns in one package, no we won't for several reasons. The pattern sheets and booklets would be too large and the printing costs would be too high. Plus we already have enough inventory of each separate pattern. Sorry. But I have seen a lot of sellers out there offering the 2 patterns as a "bundle" at a discounted price, so that might be of interest to you. :)

    patty

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think she's "got it" and you've got a great assistant, and a sweet model in your younger daughter. Nothing like keeping it all in the family!

    ReplyDelete
  19. you look beautiful and your daughter did great!

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshi Playground |