DIY V-Day Fortunes

V-Day-Fortune-09

Valentines Day is such a sweet holiday and my girls get so excited about passing out their valentines at their class parties. Since I'm not a huge fan of those store-bought, generic Valentines with the licensed characters, I always try to come up with a cute idea that we can make at home together with not a lot of time or money involved.

Last year I shared with you my Valentine Favor Box template, which was a huge success among my kids' friends and teachers, but this year I wanted to do something a bit different since they are not allowed to bring in chocolates due to peanut allergies. So, after a little trial and error, I came up with a new fun little project to do with them. This is certainly not a new idea... I've seen these "fortune cookies" done before several times, sometimes out of fabric, like in Kate's blog and sometimes out of felt, like in Martha's blog. In order to share a template online, I made mine out of card stock using some very sweet and girly designs from all my fabric collections, and they turned out oh so cute!!

The first thing you need to do is download my high-res template. Click on the image below, which will take you straight to Flickr. Download the largest file size (original file), which will be 8.5" x 11" at 300 d.p.i.
MODKID-VDAY-Fortune-Template

Print the file to your color printer at 100% on thick paper. I used 90lb. Index Card Stock from Office Max. NOTE: Your printer may tell you that the file is too big for your paper. That is OK! Do NOT "reduce" or "fit to page". There is a sizable white edge around the image, so your circles will not get cut off, I promise. I also printed the back side of my pages with a hot pink solid, so the insides of my fortunes would be colorful.

V-Day-Fortune-01

For the fortunes, I just typed a cute message and "signed" it from each of the girls so they would be personalized. The fortune papers are approximately 3" wide x 1/2" high. I was able to print both of my girls' entire class, including teachers, in 1 letter sized sheet! If you need a template to go by, you can use this one, then just change the names before you print!

V-Day-Fortune-02

After you have all your circles printed, proceed to cut them out around the edge. Your circles should be 4" wide.

V-Day-Fortune-03

Then, insert a fortune in the center of your circle and fold the circle in half, with the printed design on the outside.

V-Day-Fortune-04

Be careful not to crease that fold, just softly hold the edges of the circle together with your fingers.

V-Day-Fortune-05

Next, hold the edges of your circle using your thumb and middle finger, as shown below, so that you can push the center with your index finger.

V-Day-Fortune-06

Push the folded center on the circle in while bringing the two outer edges together until you form that fortune cookie shape.

V-Day-Fortune-06b

Lastly, dab a dot of hot glue to hold those sides together. Otherwise, the paper will come undone right away and your fortune will fall out. Kate used twisty ties and Martha used floral wire, to help the fortune cookies hold their shape, but I didn't have either of those items on hand, so I found the hot glue works pretty well.

V-Day-Fortune-07

And VOILA! This is what they will look like when finished.

V-Day-Fortune-08

I have the first batch done now and I only spent a few minutes. Now, I'll wait for the girls to come home from school so they can help me assemble the rest. Sophie can cut, Sydney can fold and I'll be in charge of the glue gun. I predict we'll have them all done within a half an hour! :)

V-Day-Fortune-09

Enjoy!

14 comments:

  1. So cute! Love non-food Valentines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie3:01 PM

    Awww, adorable, Patty. Some of my most favorite fabric designs too. :)

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  3. VERY NICE AND CREATIVE

    SAMAH

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too cute! Thank you so much for sharing such a darling project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome !! Thanks for the tutorial, I'll do it for sure :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun project! I love cool kids valentine's that aren't expensive or super time consuming- very practical :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Creative and wonderful way to create fortune cookies. Will make some in the next Chinese New Year... Thanks for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! I was just looking for a good valentine idea for my kids. Cute nail polish too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Valentines, everyone! So glad you enjoyed the tutorial. The fortune cookies were a huge hit at my daughters' school. Thanks for the sweet comments. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much...truly an easy peasy project that turned out wonderful! My daughter who is Chinese could not wait to bring her "fortune tellers"(her words) to school.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwww... I am so happy to hear that! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Could be please tell me what type of printer you print on. Do you go through a lot of ink printing the bright side. I love this project but worry about using so much ink. I have a inkjet printer and it seems to go through color quickly so I'm wondering whether it's time to buy a new printer and if so which one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We use the Epson Stylus Photo R2880. It is a really good quality printer but an ink guzzler for sure. We bought it because we needed a printer that handled large-format printing and had really good color accuracy. Yes, the solid side of these cookies does use up quite a bit of ink. What I do is I don't run the color all the way to the edge of the page because it is wasted ink. I just make a rectangle that is barely bigger than the circles in the front and print that.

      Delete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshi Playground |